What exactly is Pilates?
Pilates is a mind body method of exercise, which was invented by Joseph Pilates in the 1920’s. He educated himself in anatomy, bodybuilding, yoga, gymnastics and martial arts. During a year of enforced inactivity at a British POW camp in WW1, Joseph Pilates began to work with rehabilitating detainees who were suffering from diseases and injuries. He started devising a series of exercises combining physical fitness with mental activity and control of breathing to build core physical strength and flexibility.
After the war, he settled in New York where he opened his first Pilates studio. Joseph Pilates continued to design a series of more than 500 movements or exercises to develop strong, flexible muscles without adding bulk. His emphasis on breathing and torso strength ensured improved posture, reduced stress and risk of injury.
Modern Pilates preserves the essence of Joseph Pilates teachings while enhancing them with contemporary knowledge about the body and how it functions.
What are the benefits of Pilates?
- Improved core strength and stability
- Improved posture and balance
- Improved flexibility
- Prevention and relief of back pain
- Prevents injury
- Improves balance and coordination
- Heightens mind and body awareness
- Longer leaner muscles
- Effective post-rehabilitation
- Increase joint mobility
- Improved athletic performance
- Reduce anxiety and stress
Zane Eglite is our Pilates Instructor, focusing on post injury and rehabilitation. Group classes often integrate props for added proprioceptive feedback, challenging overall body balance to find a deeper and integrated connection.
Private sessions will address your individual needs and exercise goals. It may be the case that you are recovering from illness, surgery or injury and require rehabilitation to aid your recovery. Many clients enjoy the flexibility private sessions allow in regard to arranging session times.
Our Pilates team
I moved to England over six years ago and settled in Dorset where I enjoy both the beautiful countryside and the warmth of the local community.
I was born in Latvia and from an early age my first passion was rhythmic gymnastics. Subsequently, I studied choreography and dance from 1993 to 1997. From that time I was privileged to enjoy a successful career in professional dancing, both in Latvia and internationally.
I became a teacher in 2011 where I developed my interest in both Yoga and Pilates gaining professional qualifications in Latvia. Subsequently, I re-sat these examinations in the United Kingdom where I qualified with credits.
My interests and passion are dance, classical ballet, contemporary dance and the musicals. I also believe in a healthy lifestyle, which is not just good and healthy for our bodies but beneficial in the context of the overall environment. Both together and individually everyone can make this world a better place for us all and future generations to live in and enjoy.
- Member of CIMSPA (Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity)
- Yoga course in India, Trika Art ashram (2017)
- Active IQ Level 3 Diploma in Exercise Referral (QCF)
- CYQ Level 3 Diploma in Teaching Pilates
- Course in Basic Life Support and the use of Automated External Defibrillator
- Hatha Yoga courses and retreats in Latvia, India
- Pilates Instructor training courses at three levels in Latvia
- Jazeps Vitols Latvian Academy of Music, Choreography faculty, Dance Teacher and Choreographer
- Latvian Culture School, Dance Teacher